11.24.2008

All That Jazz

Look, I'll admit it, I don't get jazz. I played sax in high school--poorly. But one of my best friends played very well and I went to a lot of shows with him. But I still don't quite get it. I mean, I've heard all the horseshit that everyone throws around about jazz, but I still don't quite get why people enjoy the notes that are played in the order that jazz musicians tend to play them in. They often sound bad.

All that said, I saw the Ravi Coltrane Quartet at the Village Vanguard on Friday night, and I will say that it is fun to see jazz live. Hell, it's fun to see most music live. But it is easier for me to understand jazz when I see it in person. The texture and layers of the compositions become more apparent, and the communication between musicians is cool. Also, the pure physicality of it--the fact that guys are actually playing instruments made of wood and brass on stage, and making it sound coherent (sometimes) is remarkable.

But I'm still left with the basic premise that I am not a huge fan of what too often sounds simply like a cacophony of random notes. Now, I fully understand that some of this is my ignorance. But just like many if not all jam bands, a lot of it is just bullshit nonsense. Play a nice tight tune with some melody and stick with that shit. Until then, I give jazz one thumb up and a medium gas face.

2 comments:

crsmal said...

in college I ran with some musicians for a while, but as hard as I tried, jazz just never made sense.

i did much better with the jam bands... maybe it's the instruments- electric guitars sound way better than flutes and clarinets.

Anonymous said...

you played the saxophone???

- BJL